The tailed balloon valance comes with one, two, or three swags that are flanked by tails on each side.
- One swag – available in 40″ to 50″ widths;
- Two swags – available in 68″ to 90″ widths;
- Three swags – available in 92″ to 100″ widths.
This valance wraps around the sides on a rod, so you will need to hang it on a curtain rod with a projection.
After hanging, it looks like this when viewed from the side:
Tailed balloon valance with a 3″ projection on each side.
This style has a 3-1/2-inch rod pocket for easy installation on a lockseam, wraparound, or flat Dauphine/continental rod.
Regardless of rod chosen, your rod must have a 2-1/2″ or 3″ projection.
Extra wide valances come with a small slit in the back to accommodate the wire center support that generally comes with wide curtain rods.
Option #3 above (2-1/2″ dauphine rods) are the best solution for valances over 70″ wide.
- Ensure there is plenty of unobstructed wall space around the window and well above it.
- Measure the window width, including the window trim.
- Order a valance that’s 8″ to 9″ wider than the window measurement.
- For example, a 64″ wide window will need a 72″ or 73″ wide valance.